Sunday, September 28, 2008

What Kind of a Week Has it Been?

The $0.47 in my Google AdSense account says "not too shabby." Yeah, I know, but for the first week of the newly re-launched Apple Eclectic it really isn't bad. In the last 7 days we've posted 85 articles, knocked our WordPress template into a shape which we're reasonably happy with, and are even starting to find our voice. We've had 668 visitors since I started the stats thing counting on Thursday, over 400 of them today alone. We've even had a commentor.

I've got a good feeling about this. Unfortunately that's when things usually start to go wrong, but we'll see.

A few random thoughts:


  • Twitter: Just started following some people. One was Jason Calacanis, who instantly started following me back. I know it was just some machine of his somewhere being automatically polite, but it's still a weird feeling.

  • Amazon: Having to sign up to a separate Associates programme in each country is a pain. Google doesn't require this, but then Google doesn't have to ship physical goods and follow pre-digital accounting practices. It's still a pain. I really need to find some way to get WordPress to present different Amazon widget according to the visitor's location.

  • Trackbacks: We posted an article in reply to a TechCrunch piece, which got us a link on their page, which in turn generated some traffic. This feels weird in the same way as the Calacanis Twitter thing — I shouldn't be playing at the same level as these people, but I guess that's the beauty of this InterNet thingie. Go egalitarianism!



I'm sure that when I was planning this earlier I had more things to say, but that will have to do for now. Next: find a cartoonist.

No comments: