Sunday, July 13, 2008

Cocoa Touch 2.0

My experience with the iPod Touch v2.0 firmware update was the same as everyone else's: a day of hitting the "Check for Update" button, the result of which flip-flopped between "1.1.4 is the latest version" and "the iTunes store is unable to complete this request". The little tease. But by Saturday morning it had sorted itself out and I was able to upgrade. The £5.99 price tag even seemed fair-ish, since it's pretty much the $9.95 plus Ireland-rate VAT.

My first impressions are that the App Store is a really rather slick way of getting applications, and, apart from the face that with each download it kicks you back to the launch screen, a joy to use. I can't help wondering however what all those developers who were denied a place in the store make of the likes of Hold On and Cow Toss.

Some other quick observations: there seemed to be about a dozen tip calculators and a few flashlight apps; those pug-ugly apps from Steves-wossname software made it through the vetting process; and then there was TruPhone, a VOIP app which I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else. This surprised me the most, since I wasn't sure it would be allowed.

No comments: