Monday, June 18, 2007

Mac OS on a UMPC

My previous -- now abandoned -- blog MacPad was dedicated to the idea that Mac OS X would make the perfect operating system for a UMPC-style device. It seems that I'm not alone, even if Apple doesn't see it that way. Sev7en ("This is not going to have a happy ending"?) has provided detailed, step-by-step instructions for installing 10.4.8 on a Sony UX.

So how did it work out? I'd give it a rating of "so-so". The touch screen works, which should mean you get the full Ink handwriting experience. However, the Sony's internal WiFi isn't supported. This is the deal-breaker for me. If that had worked I would be looking around for a UX of my own right now. They say that external USB sticks work but that really isn't the elegant solution I'm looking for. As soon as they find a driver set that works I think I'm going to be trying it myself.

No comments: