Sunday, May 20, 2012

Assemblers

This week I saw The Marvellous Avengers or Assembly of the Avengers or Go! Go! Team Avengebots or whatever it's called. As I quipped on the Twitters, it is now officially my all-time no.2 favourite Joss Whedon film. Serenity remains unassailably in the no.1 spot, of course. Apart from having the funnier script and the less-identikit blockbuster set piece what-the-hell-is-going-on? battle sequence, I was simply more invested in the characters. (Although I still totally want to be Tony Stark when I grow up.) And Serenity never had the impact on popular Olde English usage that The New New Avengers is likely to (cut to a playground where school kids are calling each other mewling quims). Hat-tip to Joss for Coulson's almost forth wall breaking final words. But I do wish he'd stop sticking pointy things through the chests of everyone's least-offensive favourite characters.

No comments: