Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Lexical: A Retrospective

Since it's coming to the end of the year and I'm feeling a little nostalgic, I thought I'd revisit Lexical, the first iOS code I ever snuck into the App Store. This was released back in the heady halcyon days of October 2009, and since then has been downloaded literally dozens of times.


The visual style is minimalist, inspired by Bauhaus. I like to think that it had a direct influence on the design of the Windows Phone 7 / Windows 8 Metro UI, but then I'm prone to vast delusions of grandeur. Whatever, it's probably long past due a bit of a revamp.

I originally wrote Lexical in a couple of weeks, mainly so I could experiment with Core Animation layers. This time I'll be using Cocos2D/3D for the same reason. And since I've already worked out all the tricky game logic stuff, it should take far less time.

(Why, yes, those do sound an awful lot like famous last words to me.)

No comments: