Friday, November 02, 2007

Why?

Smultron, previously my text editor of choice (because I like the single-window interface and because it's free), has, it tells me, a new version available. For Leopard only. Why? It's a text editor! What feature of Leopard does it need so desperately that it can't edit text without it?

I think that we may be on a slippery slope, where the extra ease-of-use from Objective-C 2.0 and the pressure to shoe-horn core animation into applications combine to force programmers to move to Leopard. Apple may have sold 2 million copies in a few days, but think how many Tiger (and earlier) machines that still leaves out there. For my first project (look for it early next year, details to dribble out soon) I'm aiming for 10.3.9, and so far all I've had to sacrifice is outline view bindings.

No comments: