Thursday, April 05, 2007

Cuts? What cuts?

I was listening to the eMacCast just now (I've really got into podcasts over the last week or so - what can I say, I'm a late bloomer...) and they mentioned some good news for us over here on the stylish side of the Atlantic. Apparently the price of iPods has dropped recently. This got me thinking about the drop in Cinema Display prices also announced today. The UK Apple Store seemed to be lagging a little behind its US cousin earlier today, but its been updated now, which kind of destroys the point I was going to make about price discrepancies, but I think the point is still there to be made.

In the US Apple Store, the 20”, 23” and 30” Cinema Displays are $599, $899 and $1799 respectively. In the UK they are £399, £599 and £1199 (all including VAT). According to Yahoo Finance, the £/$ exchange rate is £1 = $1.9706. Even working with the tourist rate of £1 = $1.8821 and rounding it down a bit these UK prices equate to around $750, $1126 and $2254. Adjusting for VAT gives $638, $958 and $1918, which is still quite some difference. So maybe it isn’t only songs on iTunes which are overpriced over here.

No comments: